"Gold Star" Pokémon cards are a special subset of cards that were introduced in the Pokémon Trading Card Game (TCG) during the EX Series era, which began in 2003. Gold Star cards are characterized by their unique design with a gold star symbol and a holographic foil background. These cards were considered extremely rare and sought after by collectors due to their limited distribution and striking appearance.
Gold Star cards were typically associated with legendary and powerful Pokémon, making them even more desirable to collectors and players. Some examples of Gold Star Pokémon cards include:
- Charizard Gold Star: This card features the iconic Fire-type Pokémon Charizard. It's one of the most famous and valuable Gold Star cards.
- Mewtwo Gold Star: Mewtwo is another popular Pokémon that received the Gold Star treatment.
- Rayquaza Gold Star: Rayquaza, a powerful Dragon/Flying-type Pokémon, also has a Gold Star card.
- Jolteon Gold Star: The Electric-type Eeveelution, Jolteon, was also included in the Gold Star lineup.
- Raikou Gold Star: The Legendary Electric-type Pokémon Raikou was featured as a Gold Star card as well.
- Entei Gold Star: Entei, another member of the Legendary Beast trio, also has a Gold Star card.
The above image shows a few of the most desirable Gold Star Pokemon cards.
These cards were primarily released in specific sets during the EX Series, such as EX Team Magma vs Team Aqua and EX Delta Species. Due to their rarity and popularity, Gold Star Pokémon cards have become valuable collectibles, with prices varying depending on factors like the card's condition, rarity, and the specific Pokémon depicted.